Friday, November 18, 2011

Evan turned 13!

Evan turned 13 this month (on 11/11/11).  He didn't want a big party so we celebrated at my moms.  He's almost taller than me and we measured him in the doorway at my moms house and he's exactly the same height Derek was at his age!

He wanted a Hauppage system in order to record his video games ($200!) so we got him that and a membership to Fraps which is another way to record your video games.  Video games, video games, video games!  He really wanted to go paint balling and we had planned on taking him on Saturday but it rained so Robert took him to the indoor shooting range instead.  My mom was worried about us taking him but Robert showed him how to do everything safely and they had a really good day together.  I know some people are so anti-guns but we are gun owners and we have them locked up, away from reach of children. 

Anyway, my baby is 13!  I can still remember when he was born.  Many of the details of the day and surrounding days are fuzzy but there was about 15 minutes that are clear as if it was yesterday.  Derek (4 at the time) came to meet Evan and he crawled up on the hospital bed into my lap and just started singing to him.  He sang "You are my sunshine" and he sang it so soft and sweet.  I swear it was the best sound I'd ever heard.  The baby (Evan) just stared up at all of us (me, Evan's dad and Derek) as Derek sang and it was at that moment that I felt my life was complete.  Luckily, I have a picture of it because our good friend (Patti) happened to walk in the room and snap one.  That will forever me one of my favorite memories.  I hope I always remember it as I do now.  I look at Evan now and wish that I could still hold him and keep him safe but he's his own person.  As I watch him becoming a man, a whole new set of worries takes over.  Having a teenager is frightening.  I like to think that his teens will sail by but I am mentally trying to prepare.

Wishing they made a pill for patience ;)

Here is my handsome son Evan on his 13th birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment