Thursday, April 21, 2011

Extreme Couponing

Okay....so, I have started watching this new show "Extreme Couponing" that's on TLC and i'm seriously addicted!  I'm eager to become an Extreme "Couponer" and join the Extreme Couponing world.  LOL!

My husband doesn't get it and says that it's basically the same show over and over and you learn nothing new...but; regardless, i'm glued to the TV.  I TIVO all the shows and watch them at night but I'm in awe that these women (and men) have learned such useful tricks to getting groceries for nearly nothing.  I keep waiting to learn all their secrets and tricks so I can do it too.  My 12-year old is also obsessed with the show...he's the saver of the family, so you can imagine why.  He's already started clipping coupons and looking through store mailers.  I keep thinking there's a secret they're not telling us, there has to be some trick to using coupons and getting products for nothing, but is there?  A couple of them said they spend 30-40 hours a week clipping coupons.  I can't see myself ever doing that and I definitely don't have the time but I've decided to get organized about it and devote a couple hours a week to looking for deals, clipping coupons, organizing my lists and calling my grocery stores.  I plan on keeping track of everything I learn and sharing it with whoever wants to also save money on groceries.  With the economy the way it is, most of us can't afford to be spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on groceries anyway so why not.

In thinking about the time (and where i'm going to find it), I realize i have a lot on my plate right now.  I'm still determined to do this and my goal is to figure out the science of it so it doesn't take as long as the people on this show. 

So far this is what i've learned - I'll be updating this post every time I learn something new!

Tips for saving money with coupons:

Find out store policies.  I actually called the three most visited stores and found out that two of them don't double your coupons or even add any money to them!  The best store by me is "Ralphs" which is owned by Safeway (or vice versa).  They double coupons up to $1.00.  So, if your coupon is 40 cents, it will be 80 cents, 50 cents will be a dollar, 60 cents...still a dollar.  If you have a dollar coupon, it's a dollar. 

Coordinate manufacturer coupons with store sales by checking sales flyers.

Collect multiple coupons or hundreds!  My plan is to start saving coupons I get in the mail and keeping some from my parents house. I'm also going to subscribe to a coupon clipping service.

Look online for coupons.

Call manufacturers and check their websites for more coupons.

Be organized with your coupons

Make a list of what you need for the week and any big quantity sale items you can stock up on for future.

As of 6/4/11- haven't had time to clip coupons :(

No comments:

Post a Comment