Friday, August 19, 2011

What's your story?

Throughout life, there are certain moments that really stick in your mind.  I always think of this time when I was around 21 years old and I was hanging out with a small group of friends.  It was friend of mine and a couple of guys I didn't know (they were her friends).
My friend ended up leaving me to go sit with one of the guys in a car...so I just sat with the other guy on a curb and made small talk to pass the time.

After a long pause in our idle chit chat, he turned to me and with a really serious face said, "so, what's your story?" By the way he said it i could tell that he really wanted to know what my "story" actually was.  That's when i first started thinking, what was my story? I was 21 and had a 2 year old. I refused to let my story be that I was a single mom that dropped out of her first year of college to have a baby and well, I had to face it right then and there...that was my story.  I felt like nothing, working in an entry level position, raising my son alone.  I was embarrassed of who I was.  That's all I had.  So, I sat there thinking about it and pretty much wishing I could make up a story, something more exciting.  Something that would be impressive.  I didn't make up any story, just said something stupid and changed the subject.  But, something in me changed that day.  That question stuck with me and forced me to "write" my own story. 

Today I can say I'm proud of my story and who I am, what I've accomplished.  I realize now that "my story" back in 1996 wasn't one to be ashamed of.  Yes, i was a single mom but I was a good mom, a strong mom.  I loved my son and made sure he was loved and well cared for.  And, I was a strong woman then and I'm a strong woman now.  I've definitely made some bad decisions over the last 19 years but I've learned from each one and I'm stronger, smarter and happier now than ever.  Best of all I've learned that who I am isn't tied to what I do for a living or how much I make, it's about who i touch while I'm here. 


So if someone wanted to know what your story was, what would you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment